Spokane Conservation District
Title: Contract and Compliance Specialist
It is the responsibility of every District employee to promote the proper and responsible use of natural resources. It is expected that all duties be performed in a timely, courteous, and professional manner.
Scope of Responsibility
The Contract and Compliance Specialist is under the direction and supervision of the Director and will assist in the planning, organizing, developing, and managing the fiscal operations and contractual obligations of SCD. The incumbent is involved with activities such as grant and loan management, contract management and compliance, preparing financial records and processing tax reports, assisting with audits, public records requests, records and retention management, and assisting the Director and Board of Supervisors with other District projects and programs.
Confidentiality and independent judgment are necessary. Work is characterized by a substantial amount of managerial, administrative, and supervisory functions. Incumbent must possess a high level of integrity, honesty, and strong customer service. As such, incumbent must act as a liaison between District, government agencies and landowners in Spokane County.
Essential Functions of Job
- Manage fiscal operations activities including BARS accounting, payables and receivables, payroll, preparation of monthly Treasurer’s Report, and financial reports to the Board of Supervisors.
- Budget monitoring and administration of grant, loan, and assessment funds as received by the County, State, and Federal government.
- Prepare monthly or quarterly vouchers to appropriate funding agency for grant and/or expenses incurred. Maintain all back-up documentation for grant and loan projects. Prepare quarterly progress reports to funding agency project officers. May need to organize and participate in meetings with grant association members, committee members, and agency officials.
- Prepare SAO annual financial report and assist in annual audit.
- Serve as SCD’s District claims agent, treasurer, elections officer, and public requests officer.
- Manage the SCD small public works roster, purchased services contracts and personal services contracts.
- Review and recommend revisions for District financial policies.
- Assist in the development of the annual plan of work and long-range goals of the District.
- Prepare the financial annual plan of work to be submitted to Washington Conservation Commission.
- Provide support to Director and/or Board of Supervisors as needed or requested.
- Assist in other special projects and duties as assigned by the Director or Board of Supervisors.
Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance, Business Administration, or closely related field; plus five years of progressive responsibility in accounting, grant administration, loan administration, or auditing. Additional qualifying experience may substitute year for year for education requirements. Previous experience in a governmental agency is beneficial.
Demonstrated knowledge and experience in governmental accounting, grant and loan management, and State of Washington records retention is preferred.
Must be competent in reading, writing, speaking, hearing, and understanding the English language. Excellent communication skills required for interaction with coworkers, Board members, agency partners, and landowners/operators.
Must be adept with all office equipment including computers, network servers, Internet, and e-mail.
Must be adept at BIAS accounting, BARS coding, Excel spreadsheets, and database management.
Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain effective working and public relations.
Familiarity with conservation terminology and practices is desirable.
Valid Washington driver license is required.
I have read and understand the responsibilities of this job. I acknowledge that I am qualified to perform the duties described and understand that this job description does not constitute a contract of employment.
SCD Director Date
- December 2017
- September 2017
- July 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- January 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
- September 2016
- August 2016
- May 2016
- April 2016
- February 2016
- January 2016
- October 2015
- September 2015
- August 2015
- April 2015
- March 2015
- November 2014
- October 2014
- September 2014
- April 2014
- December 2013
- May 2013
- April 2013
- April 2012